Friday, February 26, 2010

Night of connections in Whistler...


Never wanted anything to do with Facebook the 'suck-you-in' kinda computer distraction techno-pit I really don't have time for...but 6 months ago Katrina set me up with my own profile and let me figure it out. Well thanks to Facebook I connected with two special people all on the same night here in Whistler...the first is my Kindergarten buddy, Jane Chittick who married her Jr High sweetheart Greg Leeds, has lived in all corners of the World now in Seattle, WA came up for the night just to have dinner with me !
The second is Shane Philip who in the early '80's got into ww kayaking at MKC, starting in as our dishwasher. There is a 'hole' up on Staircase that carries his namesake...one I warn our instructors about at 50cms +. Well Shane moved west and we lost touch...to follow his dream of making the xc ski national team. He raced successfully for years, then settled into being a HS phy ed teacher here in BC. 6 years ago he turned another steep corner and became a professional musician. A very gutsy choice, but I'd say a good decision... Shane is a music phenomena here on the west coast - he has a following that I was lucky enough to witness last night. Have you ever heard of Xavier Rudd ? Well in Shane's own words - his one-man musical performance is Xavier Rudd in high gear ! Unbelievable and awesome music - I was so proud to see him in person. Please enjoy this segment and look forward to Shane coming to Ontario in March - playing at the Rainbow in Ottawa, March 13th. His website is Shanephilip.com. He was so pleased to see Dirk and I, that he's already agreed to perform at MKC/OWL's 40th /30th anniversary rendezvous - August 13/14, 2011.

Jane and I had a blast catching up, and sharing the excitement of Whistler Olympic fever together. Dirk joined us for dinner at KAZE, a japanese restaurant within the Weston, then headed to bed at 6pm as the groomer team was up at midnight to prep the trails for the Ladies Team Relay (4 x 5km).
We met up with another chief of grooming: Stan Kelly, grooming manager for all of Whistler / Blackcomb who shared more GOLD medal excitement at the GLC. First we enjoyed a glass of wine on their patio watching the Fire and Ice show, and later inside meeting the newly crowned Queens of ice: Kaillie Humphreys and Heather Mayse who hours earlier had won the Gold in Women's 2-person Bobsled. The red & white Canada crowd loved it to the MAX !

No comments:

Post a Comment